If you love DIYs, we have a great one for you today, and it's a safe bet to say that it will charm you.This little bird is made with yarn of different colors, which will allow you to get rid of those little bits of wool that you do not know what to do with.
This project is relatively easy to make, and even though it is made from yarn, it does not require any knitting knowledge!
- 3 or 4 colors of wool (you can use scraps)
- Card stock or Bristol paper
- Small Black plastic beads (for the eyes)
- Wire (for the legs)
- Sewing needle
- Black thread
- Cut out 3 rectangles 4 to 5cm wide of card stock. The length should be 12cm (1 piece) and 9cm for the other two.
- Wrap the yarn around the rectangles to a thickness of 1cm. Use dark color yarn for the longest, light color yarn for the second and and mixed third.
- Hold the yarn securely in place on the cardboard and cut off one end. Repeat for the other two colors, and with another small piece of yarn, tie a knot in the middle.
- Form a cross with the darker yarn horizontally and the lighter wool vertically. Then, fold in half outwards and tie in the center.
- Take the mixed-colored wool, and place it under the threads tied in the previous step. The knot of the dark colored thread should face up.
- Using half of a sheet, form a small and compact ball. Place it in the middle of the 3 set of yarn. This small ball of paper will serve as padding for the abdomen.
- Hold the ends of the set of yarn firmly, and cover the crumpled paper ball. Tie off with a small piece of wool, and even out using scissors.
- Using orange card stock make the beak of the bird. Make the legs with handcrafted wire. For the eyes, use black beads.
- Using a needle and thread, sew the beak and eyes. Secure the legs by bending the wires into small hooks, and insert under the bird's belly.
You're done, you should be left with an adorable little bird!
Watch all the steps in the video below.