Have you ever noticed that some fruits ripen faster than others?
But there is worse, some fruits can ripen even faster when placed near certain fruits in particular. This is because some fruits give off a gas called ethylene and this gas makes the fruits prematurely ripen. Among the climacteric fruits there are apples, pears, bananas, tomatoes, melons, etc. On the other hand citrus fruits, strawberries and grapes are non-climacteric fruits.
So if you do not want some fruits and vegetables to ripen too quickly, avoid putting fruits that release this gas into contact with other fruits or vegetables. And to help you, here are 15 ways to store fruits and vegetables in your kitchen to keep them fresh for longer.
Here are 15 storage ideas to keep your fruits and vegetables fresh for longer:
1) Hang the limes and lemons in a basket to prevent them from ripen too quickly in the fruit basket with apples, pears and bananas! You will add color to your kitchen!
Source : homedit.com
2) Hang metal baskets on a shutter! Place the fruits in the baskets, by referring to the text at the top of this article. A Shabby Chic-style for a home full of antiques!
Source : hgtv.com
3) In craft shops, you will find produce cabinets, for vegetables. They are usually made of natural wood, and you can paint them if you want. They are very useful to store potatoes, onions and garlic.
Source : ana-white.com
4) In a cold room, these shelves are very practical.
Source : motherearthnews.com
5) If you think of putting your bananas in a banana hammock, remember that they are designed to ripen bananas faster when you buy them and they are green. Because bananas ripen faster in the dark
Source : jennetters.livejournal.com
6) Recycle old board and use nails to hang metal baskets.
Source : dream-decor.com
7) Use E6000 glue to glue candlesticks to dishes. Let dry 24 hours before using.
Source : alittletipsy.com
8) Upcycle blinds and put your favorite fruits in the kitchen. A great recycling idea !
Source : 500eco.com
9) If you are handyman/ handywoman, you will like these ideas for the kitchen and the cold room. This one is perfect for one side of the kitchen countertop.
Source : overthebigmoon.com
10) Here they have replaced drawers with slide-out baskets, which are ideal for storing vegetables that don't need to be refrigerated!
Source : bhg.com
11) This wooden box is perfect for potatoes in the cold room or fruits on the kitchen countertop.
Source : remodelaholic.com
12) The same idea, but divided into 2 to prevent the ethylene gas from ripening fruits or vegetables on the other side too fast.
Source : anikasdiylife.com
13) A very nice idea, you can place it on the ktichen countertop!
Source : thewoodgraincottage.com
14) Perfect for the cold room! Remember to separate as much as possible the fruits that release ethylene gas from fruits that are sensitive to this gas.
Source : ana-white.com
15) Last but not least, a kitchen island with drawers and baskets to store fresh fruits and vegetables! The dream!