You can't mess up this easy bread recipe, there is nothing better than a good homemade bread fresh from the oven.
- 2¼ teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
- 2¼ cups warm water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 5½ to 6½ cups flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in hot water with a pinch of sugar. When the yeast is sparkling and frothy, add the remaining sugar, salt, oil and 4 cups of flour, then mix until well blended.
- Add the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, to form a smooth dough. The dough should remain slightly sticky, but not too much either.
- Knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Form a ball and place the dough in an oiled bowl, turn the dough to completely coat it with oil, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit for an hour, or until the dough has doubled.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll each half of the dough into a long rectangle about 8 inches wide. Roll the dough to make a cylinder about 8 inches wide. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bread pan, cover and let the dough rise for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees f and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.