Called "Mexican Wedding Cookies", "Russian Tea Cookies", "Italian Cookies" or even "Snowball Cookies" these delicious butterball cookies are a classic! They are so soft they melt in your mouth and are appreciated all around the world! Here's a recipe that will allow you to bring them to your next family gathering, everybody will enjoy them!
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 5 tbsp white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups powered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (fine grain)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts (you can also use almonds or pecans)
- Cream the butter and white sugar until smooth using an electric mixer. While still beating, add the vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add the flour in batches and beat after each addition. Add in the nuts and stir to blend.
- Divide the cookie dough in half and place in the refrigerator for around 45 minutes. Cover with a plastic wrap so the mixture doesn't dry.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare two baking sheets by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and scoop 1-inch balls using an ice cream scoop or a spoon. Try to make them as round as you can using your hands.
- Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets making sure that they are about 1½ inch apart.
- Bake until cookies are starting to brown for about 12 to 4 minutes. Be careful not to overbake or the cookies will be dry.
- Let cool for a few minutes and dust the cookies with powered sugar while they are still warm. Then let cool completely and dust again with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Have you tried these cookies before?