Warm bread and jam is an excellent combination! And there are so many different fruits you can make jam with. But why not try a savoury flavour this time? Have you ever thought of bacon jam? Yes! It is a real thing and it is absolutely delicious. You can add it on toast, warm cheese, burgers or simply by itself!
- 2 pounds of Bacon (thick cut)
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped onion
- 2 1/2 tbs garlic paste or 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar or apple vinegar
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- black pepper, to taste
Note: You can also add a bit of cayenne red pepper if you enjoy a more spicy taste or a few tablespoons or maple syrup.
- Start by cutting the bacon into 3/4 inch pieces. Cook until crisp while stirring frequently.
- Drain the grease but keep about 1/2 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Add in the onions and cook for about 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar and water. Simmer over medium heat while stirring.
- Add thyme and pepper to taste, stir often, let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and let cool down.
- If you prefer a finer jam, transfer to a food processor.
- Once completely cool, transfer to airtight jars. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!
Have you tried bacon jam before?
Source: Souffle Bombay · Photo Credit: Pinterest