As an appetizer or as an accompaniment, these Italian style avocado halves will make all your guests happy.
They are garnished with basil pesto, a balsamic vinegar reduction, small sweet tomatoes and mozzarella balls. And if you have fresh basil in your garden, use some leaves to garnish your avocados before serving.
Make sure you use well-ripened avocados. If they are not ripe enough, their flavor will be pungent and they can hardly be peeled and cut in half.
This recipe is extra simple to prepare and takes less than 10 minutes. Did you know that the good omega-9 fats in avocados help prevent cravings? This is an ally of choice in your diet!
The following recipe makes 4 avocado halves, containing about 341 calories each.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato grapes or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz (120 g) small balls of mozzarella (or bocconcini)
- 2 tablespoons homemade (or commercial) basil pesto
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) minced garlic
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe avocados peeled, cut in half, without the pit
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnishing (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) reduction of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh basil
Pour tomatoes, mozzarella balls, pesto, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper into a bowl.
Stir well to combine all flavors evenly.
Cut the avocados in halves, remove the pits and peels.
Arrange prepared avocado halves on a plate with fresh basil leaves.
Spread the filling in each avocado half and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar reduction.
Garnish with chopped fresh basil. Serve immediately.
If you cannot find mini balls of mozzarella or bocconcini, you can use larger balls and cut them in half.
To make a reduction of balsamic vinegar, simply pour balsamic vinegar into a saucepan and heat it over medium-low heat. In this way, the vinegar will reduce by half and its flavors will be enhanced! But you can also use balsamic vinegar as is, if you wish.