You probably use your slow-cooker InstantPot for delicious recipes like chicken noodle soup, beef stew or chili but did you know that you can make wine?! Food blogger and recipe developer David Murphy created a found a way to make his own homemade wine using grape juice and the yogurt function of his InstantPot.
The whole process takes about 48 hours and includes a dormancy period of at least 8 days and up to a month. If you are curious to learn how to make your own wine using an InstantPot and if you want to try for yourself, simply follow the recipe and directions below.
- Welch’s Grape Juice (64oz bottle)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar granulated
- a funnel
- 1/2 packet Lalvin Red Wine Yeast
- Instant Pot with Yogurt Function
- Clear packing tape
- Remove 1 cup of juice from the bottle and set it to the side.
- Using a funnel, add 1 cup of sugar in the bottle of juice and shake for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the sugar.
- Add1/2 packet of the Lalvin red wine yeast into the bottle and shake again.
- Use a pot liner inside of your InstantPot and add all the juice from the bottle and the 1 cup of juice. (Keep the plastic juice bottle.)
- Press the Yogurt button and set it on less. (We want low heat) Make sure to not close the vent on the lid so the wine can breathe.
- Run the Instant for 24hours for 2 days (We need a total of 48 hours).
- Every 6-8 hours, you need to alternate opening the lid vent and closing the lid vent.
- After 48 hours transfer the “wine juice” back into the original plastic bottle. Place the plastic lid only on half way or the pressure will build up and blow the lid off of the bottle.
- Secure the plastic cap on the bottle with the clear packing tape. (See picture below)
Now, you have to wait at least 8 days before drinking the wine, Murphy also suggested that you can wait up to month until it reaches a fabulous spot! You should place the bottle in an area that doesn’t have a ton of light, like underneath your cabinets.
Will you be trying this experiment at home? Can't be much worse than the cheap grocery store wine!