Most grocery stores offer pre-made or refrigerated cinnamon buns, but they are really not that hard to make at home! They require a little effort but they are so much better homemade. Here's an easy recipe next time you get a craving for a cinnamon bun!
- 1 cup (250 mL) lukewarm milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) butter, melted
- 4 1/2 cup (1125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (85 ml ) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cream cheese (Philadelphia style)
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract a pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk. Add the salt, sugar, butter, eggs and flour and mix well.
- Knead the dough to form a ball, use lightly floured hands.
- Place the dough ball in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel for about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar with cinnamon.
- Stretch the dough to make a rectangle about 40 x 50 cm. Brush with 1/3 cup of butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture.
- Roll the dough and cut it to make 12 buns of the same size.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C). Bake the buns for about 15 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Take advantage of the cooking time to make the frosting. In a small bowl, mix in the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- When the buns come out of the oven, pour the delicious mixture over the buns. Enjoy!