Do you like to use essential oils rather than all these commercial products full of chemicals for a thousand uses in the home? Well, you'll appreciate this article!
But first of all, everyone should know the best way to keep the essential oils, so that their properties are effective as long as possible.
Keep them in a dark place. It's not a coincidence if all the bottles are blue or dark brown. It's because the light damages the oils. Store them in a closet, away from the light.
And now, here are 20 surprising ways to use the essential oils that few people know!
1) Relieve earlobe pains caused by earrings made of poor quality material, by rubbing a few drops of tea tree essential oil on the ears for quick and effective relief.
2) Relieve a runny nose due to allergy or a cold by rubbing a few drops of lemon essential oil mixed with one of these oils: Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, or Apricot Kernel Oil. Rub the mixture on the nostrils.
Caution: This mixture is phototoxic. Which means that the skin will be more sensitive to the sun for about 3 days.
3) Eliminate bad odors in shoes by pouring 2 drops of your favorite essential oil on 2 cotton pads and put one in each shoe.
Image source: organic4greenlivings.com
4) Attract the butterflies in your garden to admire them more closely and take beautiful pictures, by adding a few drops of orange or lavender essential oil on cotton pads that you place in strategic places in your garden, then wait. You will see, it's worth it!
Image source: images.wisegeek.com
5) Reduce high fever by mixing Eucalyptus essential oil, Frankincense essential oil, Rosemary essential oil, Peppermint essential oil and with milk or a sesame seed oil. Soak a vegetable sponge with this mixture and gently rub the body.
6) Make a home fragrance for a home that always smell good, by pouring a few drops of essential oil of your choice on the filter of your vacuum cleaner. Before, our moms were doing the same thing with Vicks Vaporum. But with essential oils, it will be even better!
7) Get rid of this bad smell of fish by adding a few drops of essential oil of your choice in an essential oil diffuser and light a candle underneath to heat the oil. You don't have an essential oil diffuser? Make one with a can, like this! By flipping the can, you will even have a hollow to add the oil and water, then put a tealight in the can, as the candles are already in aluminum cups, they are perfect!
Image source: comment-economiser
8) Make a "Monster Hunt" for kids by adding water in a spray bottle and a few drops of lavender essential oil or the oil of your choice. Decorate the bottle with fun stickers! Then let the child spraying the scented water every night in the wardrobe, under the bed and in the room to show him how to chase monsters, and enjoy a good night sleep without nightmares!
9) Reassure a dog who is afraid of storms with a few drops of Frankincense essential oil, to heat in an essential oil diffuser with water. The heated oil and hugs will calm your dog.
10) Fragrance your next chimney fire by adding a few drops of essential oil to a dry log a few days before firing. The essential oil will have time to penetrate the wood and it will diffuse a sweet perfume while burning. Add the essential oils according to the holiday season or according to the seasons.
11) Make your dishes shine as if they were new by simply adding a few drops of lemon essential oil to the dishwasher. Your dishes will be literally sparkling!
12) Eliminate spiders, mice and other critters from your home with peppermint essential oil. They hate this smell and will quickly go out of your house! Soak some cotton balls in the oil and let them in strategic places of the house.
13) Eliminate the bacteria on the bags, sports and gym equipment, Yoga mat... by filling a spray bottle with water and adding 1 drop of lavender essential oil, and 1 drop of tea tree essential oil. Use the recipe to clean the equipment after each use.
Image source: les-tracas-du-quoti
14) Stop an embarrassing hiccup by mixing 2 drops of mint essential oil and 1 drop of essential oil your choice: Jojoba oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, or apricot kernel essential oil. Rub the mix in your hands and breathe in the smell for a few minutes. The refreshing scent of mint would help you catch your breath and stop the spasm of the diaphragm that causes hiccups.
15) Be more focused at work, more pro-active by keeping rosemary essential oil on hand in your office. When you feel a drop of energy, or productivity, breathe this oil. Research has also shown that rosemary essential oil improves memory.
16) Fight against wrinkles with frankincense essential oil that is considered a powerful astringent. Which means that it helps protect skin cells. It also reduces acne and other skin imperfections, it firms the skin to slow down the aging process. Mix 6 drops of frankincense essential oil with 30 ml of the essential oil of your choice: Jojoba oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil or apricot kernel oil. Apply the mixture directly to the skin.
17) Get rid of flies in the house by heating lemongrass essential oil mixed with water in a essential oil diffuser.
Image source: organicauthority.com
18) Relieve the pain caused by menstrual cramps by rubbing lavender essential oil directly on the belly, or make a hot compress with lavender oil, for quick relief.
19) Replace fabric softeners full of chemicals. Add 1 to 2 drops of tea tree essential oil to 250 ml (1 cup) of white vinegar. Add the mixture to the machine and wash as usual.
20) Get rid of slugs in your garden with mint or cedar essential oil mixed with water. Add 5 drops of essential oil to 250 ml (1 cup) of water and spray the mix on the ground around fruits, vegetables and plants in your garden.
Image source: comment-economiser