We all get leftover food, sometimes we cook too much while other times the family doesn't eat as much or someone is missing. What to do with all these leftovers? Some people leave them on the countertop or the refrigerator. But when it comes to reheating food, you should know that there is some rules you should follow.
Here are 8 foods that are not microwave-friendly and should not be reheated.
Spinach contains a high quantity of nitrates which is great for our bodies as it provides vital nutrients our bodies need to function. However, when heated nitrates a release poisonous carcinogenic for the body to process. Therefore, if you reheat spinach it might become toxic!
Botulism is a rare bacteria that is commonly found in potatoes. If you leave cooked potatoes on the countertop or worst reheat them, they might get really toxic! To avoid this, put them right away in the refrigerator so they cool down faster. Or try to make less next time you cook!
3. Celery and Carrots
Celery and carrots are also full of nitrates. If possible, it is best to take them out of a dish before putting it in the microwave.
Cooked rice might develop bacterial spores which cause physical illness. The spores in questions are multiplying faster when left to room temperature. That is why you should refrigerate the rice as soon as possible.
Reheating cooked mushrooms can be really bad for your stomach because of how vulnerable the vegetable is to microorganisms. It is best if you can eat them after they are first cooked or enjoy them cold the next day. Make sure to store them in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
Beets have many nutritional benefits but are also rich in nitrates which doesn't make them a good vegetable to reheat. Instead, eat any leftover beets cold - simply toss them in your salads!
Eggs are not microwave friendly! They will become very rubbery and ca be really bad for your digestive system! Do not leave them on the countertop after being cooked, no matter how you cooked them. Eat them right away!
Chicken is a great source of protein, but that same protein can cause digestive problems when reheated. It is recommended to reheat leftover chicken only once and to make sure the meat is really hot even in the center of the piece. Once you reheated it, you have to eat it right away.
Do you eat a lot of leftover food? What is your favourite reheating method?
Source: My Recipes · Photo Credit: Adobe Stock