In general, the peak season for asparagus production is between Mother's Day and Father's Day. Now is the time to prepare this vegetable in a thousand and one ways!
And here is a recipe that may appeal even to those reluctant to face this green vegetable! Crispy roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese!
These asparagus make a delicious appetizer or a side dish that is as addictive as potato chips! And if you dip them in mayonnaise or aioli, they are irresistible!
This recipe is super simple. And the best part is that you can get a crunchy crust without frying! Roasting is a great way to cook asparagus, because caramelization turns bitter into tasty.
- 1½ pounds of asparagus, trimmed 4 to 5 inches
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup (65 g) grated parmesan
- ¼ cup (65 g) panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C) and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Place the trimmed asparagus in an resealable plastic bag (Ziploc).
3. Add in the rest of the ingredients, seal the bag and gently massage the ingredients evenly over the asparagus.
4. Empty the bag onto the prepared baking sheet and space the asparagus evenly on the baking sheet so that the spears do not touch.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender and the panko is golden.
6. Grill or broil the last minutes of cooking until the asparagus are crispy and the breadcrumbs are golden.
7. Serve hot with mayonnaise, aioli or another dip.
Watch the recipe down below!
What is your favourite way to enjoy asparagus?