Winter is upon us and in some areas snow and ice are already here. To make your life easier during this coming winter, here is a trick if you can't break the ice on your steps or in your entrance.
Don't have time to spread coarse salt that will take a long time to melt the ice? Or you simply don't have an ice pick on hand? Do not spend a fortune on a specialized tool. Try this effective trick instead!
This is a very simple and easy tip, but above all, it is much safer than an ice pick. This method also helps not to damage the steps and the entrance to your house.
YOU WILL NEED:
- Half a gallon of hot water
- 6 drops of dish soap
- 60 ml (2 ounces) rubbing alcohol (isopropanol or isopropyl alcohol)
* Soap and rubbing alcohol together will ensure that the water will not freeze!
HOW TO DO IT:
1) Mix all the ingredients together and pour the mixture directly onto the ice. In just a few minutes, the ice should break easily!
2) Hurry and push the soft "Slush" away from your entrance before it freezes again because of the cold! That's the difference with this trick: the recipe actually melts the ice, so you just have to push away the Slush to the bottom of your steps or to the side of your driveway or yard.
AND BEWARE! In this cold weather we have in some places in Canada, if you did the same thing only with hot water, it would not work. The hot water alone would not break through the ice. It's this recipe that makes the difference. Water, dish soap, and rubbing alcohol.
An interesting alternative to try if you don't want to spread coarse salt or if you cannot break the ice with a spike.
Source: youtu.be/E0jWmGyZxrc · Photo Credit: youtu.be/E0jWmGyZxrc