Making your own bread at home can look intimidating, but don't be afraid to give this recipe a go, these buns are easy to make ... and so tasty!
- 3 cups of lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp + 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 (0.25 oz) envelopes of active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 10 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the lukewarm water and the tablespoon of sugar. Add the yeast into the sweetened water, stir gently, place a plate on top of the bowl and let sit for 10 minutes (until the yeast is foamy).
- Beat milk and eggs in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, put the flour, salt, 2/3 cup sugar and shortening with your fingers.
- Using a pastry cutter, loosen the shortening in the flour until the texture is crumbly.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the frothy yeast and the milk and egg mixture.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and begins to form a ball around the spoon. Cover with a damp cloth and place the bowl in a warm, humid place.
- When the dough has doubled in size, pour in the melted butter and knead for 2 minutes. Cover and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, cut small balls of dough, then roll them out (you can watch the video tutorial below to see the technique).
- Place the dough balls in a greased pan (round or square) leaving 1 inch of distance between them. Let rise again until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F. Bake the rolls for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- You can brush them with melted butter right out of the oven, the sound of the crust crackling is so pleasant to hear! Enjoy!