Growing your own fruits in the garden has something very special! Strawberries taste so much better when they are grown at home rather than picked at the grocery store! If you wish to have your own strawberry planter, try this DIY!
- A plastic laundry basket
- Burlap sack
- Potting soil
- Strawberry plants
- Filler plants (optional)
- Pair of scissors
1. Poke several holes in the bottom of the laundry basket with a sharp pair of scissors. You can also use a drill! This will provide drainage for the plants.
2. Line the laundry basket using burlap sack and make sure the flaps are hanging over the edge - just like a garbage bag would. This will hold the soil in the container.
3. Fill the basket using a good potting soil and cut the excess burlap around the edges of the basket.
4. Cut holes on the side of the basket where you will plant the strawberry using scissors. However, you should not plant in every hole by rather space them out. Think about where you will be positing the planter. If it will be against a wall, you should probably leave a side of the basket bare so the plants aren't crushed.
5. Now, you can insert the strawberries into the holes, but don't push them deep into the basket. Make sure the roots and the base of the plants are situated in the soil. They will later root into the soil and be supported by the burlap you put earlier.
6. If you wish, you can add filler planet suck as Monarda plant. This will make the basket prettier. Try to pick plants that will bloom all summer long – and will attract pollinators!
7. The basket planter should be placed in a bright, sunny location and don't forget to regularly water while your plants are still getting established!
Watch the video below!
Easy enough? Gardening can be fun and cheap!