The next time you have a cold, take a good hot shower and use a homemade shower bomb. When it melts, it will release a soothing steam that will help relieve congestion!
You will only need 5 ingredients to make your own shower bombs!
Colds and allergies are very annoying. But for many of us, taking a lot of drugs is not much better! Steam inhalation is a natural remedy that melts your cold symptoms away. It works like Vicks, if you prefer.
These shower bombs are very easy to make in small muffin tins. Keep a jar of them on hand for the cold season or offer them as a gift to your sniffly friends!
Eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils have been used for a long time in treating mucus, relieving sinus pressure and reducing respiratory inflammation. Their invigorating herbal scent creates a spa steam room experience in your own bathroom and it does not smell like medicine!
If you don't like eucalyptus or peppermint, here are some other essential oils known for their congestion-relieving properties:
Herbal: spearmint, rosemary, thyme, wintergreen or oregano
Wood: balsam fir, pine, spruce, cedar, camphor, birch or tea tree
Flower: like lavender or geranium
Citrus: like orange or lemon
Have fun creating your own aromatherapy blend!
Note: High-cineole essential oils (like menthol, peppermint, rosemary, and eucalyptus) are not always considered safe for children. Consult your pediatrician before using them with your children.
Recipe for soothing shower bombs:
Makes 12 shower bombs
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Total time: 5 hours
- 1 cup (250 g) baking soda
- ½ cup (125 g) cornstarch
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 30 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil
- 12-cup mini muffin tin
- Paper muffin cup liners
How to do :
1. In a medium bowl, mix the baking soda and cornstarch until no lumps remain.
2. Add the eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils into the water.
3. Add this water to the baking soda. Add more water as needed (up to ½ cup (125 ml)) until the mixture becomes a thick paste.
4. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spread the mixture evenly in the cups.
5. Place the muffin tin in the freezer until the bombs are completely frozen.
6. Once frozen, remove the shower bombs and place them in a resealable plastic bag or in a jar with a lid.
To use your shower bomb, remove the paper liner and place the melted dough on the floor of your shower and let the hot water run over it.
The vapors of essential oils should help solve your congestion problems !
See all the steps in the following video :