Grilled cheese and tomato soup, a delicious combination! Try this creamy tomato basil soup made with fire roasted tomatoes, you will love it!
- 4 stalks celery (chopped)
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 large onion (peeled and quartered)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 14 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 cups milk, half and half or heavy cream (according to taste, the fatter the creamier the soup will be)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (more for garnish)
- Start by mincing the celery, carrots, onion and garlic with a food processor or by hand.
- In a large soup pot melt butter in oil over medium heat. Then, turn the heat to medium high and add the minced vegetables. Saute for around 4 minutes and sprinkle in flour. Cook for 1 more minute and stir constantly.
- Whisk in the chicken broth in small batches and the cans of tomatoes with all the seasonings, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for around 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and whisk to blend. Stir in your dairy of choice (milk or cream) and let simmer an additional 15-20 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. If needed, add in chicken broth or cream to reach a better consistency.
- Remove the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: blend the soup in an immersion blender until smooth or serve as is. Blending the soup will give you a much creamier textue. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Watch the recipe in the video below.
What is your favourite soup?